06 January, 2011

A Posting for Sarah

I ran into an old acquaintance today while I was having lunch at a cafe.  She used to work as a free-lance interviewer for the Crescent City Daily Triplicate, and she interviewed me seven years ago at my house as part of the paper's coverage of a solo appearance with the local orchestra.  She is now a masseuse who happened to have a stand in the corner of this particular cafe.  Inbetween banterings of career directions, I mentioned some of my own various writings, including a few poems and the recent article on slow music.  The poems are posted on my Facebook page, but I'm going to post them here as well in hopes that someday she happens upon them.  The first is a blank-verse phrase commemorating a very moving performance of a student composition at Mills College.  The second is a modified Haikou Sonnet written to a girl I once loved very much.


The Concert:

Twilight upon the stage, the lone bassist stalwart to a silver screen
Emotions waver left to right atop groans of agony
Illegible script, a single note mumbles forth
LA, then silence among babble
Loss, pain, and lunacy dripping blue across our faces

--M*O*S*H V/7/09


The Hilltop:

Midnight grows wetter
The windswept hilltop I have climbed
Warms more my heart than home's toasty fire

Love's strong oak mansion
Where in secret we've never lived
Through the nightly mist discerns my gaze

I turn and stumble
Back towards the life I'll always know
Down In the valley, sundered from you

Passion's oaken shaft
Sinks through the rain into my back
Severing all Reason's defenses

The desolate street
Stages for only itself's sight
Deeds never to leave its memory

Our dormant embrace
All my abandoned abandon
Caressing the raindrops from your lips

--M*O*S*H V/5/09

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for this, Morgan! These two poems are incredibly wonderful!! Your plethora of talent inspires me, and has since we met. I have now read every word of your blog thus far, and am eager for more. Hope to see you at the concert Sunday!

    ReplyDelete